The law includes provisions to:
- Protect the privacy and security of individually identifiable protected health information
- Protect health insurance coverage for workers and their families when they change or lose jobs
- Establish standards and requirements for the electronic transmission of certain health care information
- Require organizations exchanging information for health care transactions to follow national implementation guidelines
- Standardize the amount you can save per person in a pre-tax medical savings account
- Broaden information on insurance reform and provide detailed explanations
For detailed information on HIPAA, including the 5 "titles" (provisions) that make up the HIPAA legislative act, please read our HIPAA Overview.